Monday, May 26, 2014

The Polaris Uprising by Jennifer Ibarra

  RATED 5 STARS

This is book one of a new series.  It takes place in the republic of Neress which is led by the President who has saved the country from a terrible war and has instituted a system wherein the government provides the people with everything they need so no one goes without.
The President’s two daughters live in the lap of luxury and enjoy the privileges and tortures of being famous.  Alanna is soft spoken and Ryla is outspoken.  They are opposites in every way except for the deep bond of love they share.  Alanna is a doctor who is working in the city center and Ryla is being groomed to be the next President.
As Ryla begins her training, she learns some things about her father and his government that shock and appall her.  Father has sworn her to secrecy so she never shares her knowledge with her sister.
Armed with this knowledge, Ryla is open to change and meets Alek who is resistant to her at first but as he grows to trust her he shows her his world.
In the meantime, Alanna is preparing for her contracted  marriage to Owen Callister, son of the Security chief.  Alanna fights the growing attraction to the charming Owen since all marriages are only for civic reasons.
Everything starts to fall apart as rebels start to make themselves known and things escalate to a tragic end which sends each girl on her own separate path.

*********************************************************************
I loved this book.  It was exciting and I couldn’t put it down.  The author made some shocking choices and I was blown away as I read them.
I loved the real relationship between the sisters.  Alanna felt a responsiblity toward Ryla that I could identify with, having a younger sister of my own.

Ryla loved Alanna like a mother and looked to her for comfort as well as companionship.  I would say they were as close as two sisters could be.
When Alek and Ryla met, I liked that the sparks took a while to fly.  He was a common boy and she was the heir to the presidency so I could understand his hesitation.  The rebel group he belonged to was Polaris and the descriptions of their activities were believable.

When Alanna’s fiancé returned to Neress, she tried her best to remain calm and have a business like relationship.  I found that to be endearing as well as amusing.  Who could resist Owen?  He was not only a fighter pilot but he had a heart as big as all outdoors and did everything he could do to win Alanna’s heart.

The action in the story was first rate.  I never knew what was going to happen next.  The story flew by and I didn’t want it to end.  Lucky for me, there is a sequel due out later this year.  If you enjoy action or scifi or just romance, I think you would love this book.



No comments:

Post a Comment