Thursday, May 29, 2014

Summertime and The Readin' Is Easy







KIDZ KORNER






School is almost over so it’s time to think about summer activities.  I’m just going to remind you that reading is a part of summer.  I have fond memories of sitting in our backyard with a book, reading at the picnic table and getting lost in the fantasy world I’d chosen.  We went to the library every week and I read everything I could get my hands on. Just in case your kids aren’t bookworms like I was here are some suggestions you might want to try.

Mrs. Piggle Wiggle by Betty MacDonald


This is a whole series of books that are funny and subtle ways of reminding kids that it pays to be well behaved.  Mrs. Piggle Wiggle is the widow of a pirate, whose house is upside down and she loves and understands kids.  All the moms in the neighborhood call her for advice and she has a magic answer for them every time.

Ramona Quimby by Beverly Cleary


You can’t go wrong with Ramona.  From the time we meet her in Henry and Beezus until the last book in the series, Ramona is a constant source of hilarity and reality.  She has normal kid problems but a unique perspective on solving them.  She is real and adorable.

Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis


You can really get lost in this series.  It is a whole world where animals talk and kids can become heroes.  There is conflict, love and growth wrapped up in one of the most exciting stories ever told.

Mo Willem's Books



If your child is too young for any of the above books, any one of Wilem’s books will fit the bill.  They are delightful and funny.  I love his illustrations and his sense of humor.

Little Golden Books by Various Authors



Read the classics, like Poky Little Puppy or The Animals of Farmer Jones.  Golden books are wonderful and fun.  The drawings are imaginative and beautiful.  The stories are simple and  kids love them!  My personal favorite??   I am Suzy.  You can probably guess why.
This is my last post of the school year.  I'll be back in August so come back and until then, keep on reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment