Thursday, April 24, 2014

How Does Your Garden Grow?


 

 

 
KIDZ KORNER
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I love to plant flowers in the spring.  Unfortunately, I don’t have a green thumb so I have to keep my fingers crossed that they make it through the summer and I never try vegetables.  So I’ve turned to books to help me garden.

 
The Tiny Seed by Eric Carle

 In his classic way, Carle shows how a seed turns into a flower.  With simple text and glorious illustrations this is one of my old favorites.  I would read this book to kids from 4-6 years old.

 Flower Garden by Eve Bunting

 Once again, the illustrations caught my eye and then I discovered the loving story that went with them.  A little girl and her father buy flowers, plant them in a window box and Mom gets a wonderful birthday surprise. I would read this book to kids 4-7 years old.
A great place to start a conversation about giving gifts.

 In the Garden With Van Gogh by Julie Merberg

This rhyming board book has the wonderful art of Van Gogh.  It is seriously a great way to introduce kids to the world of fine art.  I would read this book to kids 3-8 years old.  As an extra bonus, try painting a picture in the style of Van Gogh.  Your kids will amaze you!

 Inch by Inch: A Garden Song by David Mallett

 If you don’t know this song, you will want to learn it after you read this book.  It has always been a favorite of mine.  There are sweet pictures and it is a good introduction about how we are tied in a partnership with the Earth.  I would read this book to kids 3-8.
You can download the song on iTunes by David Mallett himself!

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment