Thursday, October 23, 2014

John Chapman and Other Legends








KIDZKORNER











I love old American legends.  Every year in elementary school, I couldn't wait until the teacher showed us the little movie of Johnny Appleseed that was released by Disney.  It was my favorite and I showed it to my students every year until I retired!  He's joined here by some other favorite American legends.

Johnny Appleseed by Steven Kellog

I love Kellog's illustrations!

Paul Bunyan Swings His Axe by Dell J. McCormick
My favorite lumberjack and his huge appetite( in more ways than one)

Pecos Bill by James C. Bowman and Laura Bannon
Raised by coyotes!  What's not to love??

John Henry: An American Legend by Ezra Jack Keats
A story of strength and determination.

A Picture Book of Davy Crockett
Born on a mountain top in Tennessee.......

Betsy Ross by Becky White
Can't forget that a woman can be a legend too.

Disney's American Legends
This is a video featuring Johnny Appleseed, John Henry and others.  I don't usually do this but I recommend this one for sure.  A great Christmas gift for any kid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have fun with these legends and until next week, keep on reading!!

No comments:

Post a Comment